Here we go.

03 January 2013

Later that holiday...

On Friday, 28 Dec, I had to report back to work for the first time in over a week.  I accidentally got drunk at a retiring judge's party and had to go home and sleep it off because later that eve, we were going to the silly Rev Room to go see bands play and side hug everybody from out of town.  (A few got full frontal, though.)

I'd say that my favorite thing about the holiday is, of course, seeing friends, but we also made new friends with Petros & Lydia.  It was a situaish where we all knew about each other and wanted to meet, we just...hadn't.  KMHD was a key player in making it all happen.  Pete is such a joy to be around because he is so. fucking. hilarious and he's got great stories.  Lydia is excellent, too.  We all just hit it off and I'm stoked to have them as pals.  I'm sorry that they live in Ohio and I already miss them.


The rest of the weekend was a bit of a warm, fuzzy blur.  Enchiladas at Everett's.  Burgers and kickin' it with Pete, Lydia, Thomas, Seth, Meggie & Michael.  And then there was New Year's Eve.  For the first time in years, we did not go to the cabin in Ferndale.  I was a little sad about that, but it was a long, rough week and we wanted to be home.  It also left us without a real plan.  We invited Jonathan and his lady (Halide from Cyprus -- really cool and easy going) to have dinner with us, which turned into a sleepover.  I cooked all damn day on the last day of the year.  Challah with Irish butter & preserves, posole, Sheperd's pie -- two kinds -- one was vegetarian and the other with lamb.  Oh, and we got oysters!  Jonathan also brought two homemade pies.



My new knife is ace.  You can read through these radish slices:

Photobucket

I feel that this loaf turned out larger than usual.  Longer dough rising time?
Photobucket

Photobucket

Premature ejaculation:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Shucking is easier than I thought it'd be:
Photobucket

Like kissing the sea on the lips:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Jonathan looking like a North Korean leader:
Photobucket

ATM & I popped into the Victory St. space for a bit to ring in the new year with Blair, Matt, Sara, and Zach:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Blair scored some fireworks for us to jam with:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Well past midnight, ATM and I went home, got in bed, and left 2012 behind.  



The next morning, Jonathan and I made some challah French toast w/ maple syrup, fresh juice, coffee, and tea.  Begin each new year properly, I say:

Photobucket

Photobucket


We ate, watched telly, and hardcore kicked it casual.  My mind kept wandering to the fact that I had to work the next day, which I knew would be hurty and annoying.  After Jonathan and Hilade departed,  I drank a beer that Pete gave me and watched some Twilight Zone.  



F8594D25-9774-4FE7-Bk75B-A0A1EA741256-756-00000129C873F2C5

After that, I took a long, hot soak in the bath.  After that, I went back to bed.  Blair and I went for pho, but the restaurant was closed, so we got Chinese instead.  Went home directly after that and fell asleep to Twilight Zone.

Photobucket


So glad to have all of it behind me.  Here's to a crazy fun new year!



xx

6 comments:

nicole said...

I love all of this... especially that bread... and that French toast. YUM!

Oh, and I got to spend time with Lydia, too. She's wonderful. I'm missing her already.

Happy New Year to you and ATM! xo.

kmhd said...

That challah made me want to holla.

Glad you made old, new acquaintances. (*)

Carrie said...

Ai Lien, would you mind giving me your info on ordering oysters? They were not available in any local grocery stores this year (the kind that come already shucked in the plastic containers with the pry-off lid) and we like to put them in our seafood gumbo on Christmas Day.

Carrie said...

Also, I loved your photos of the snow. Beautiful oak with the snow on it.

AMD & KMHD said...

Nicole, I love meeting new people, especially when they turn out to be ultra lovely.

Carrie, we were going to order some oysters online, but they were either wildly out of budget OR already shucked. We needed unshucked ones so I could use my new knife. So, one day, I called Oyster Bar and asked them if they'd sell them whole to me. They did, no big deal. I guess I'm not the first to ask. It was fun, I'm looking forward to doing it again. I hope that helps.

Carrie said...

Ok. That helps. I'll call them when we need some for next year's gumbo. I suppose they would sell them to me shucked....

Blog Archive